In the aftermath of winter, your horse's health and wellbeing may require extra attention. With the arrival of spring, it's important to take steps to ensure your horse is healthy and happy. Here is a checklist of things you can do to help your horse transition smoothly into the new season.
- Start with a veterinary checkup: Schedule a visit with your veterinarian to have your horse's overall health assessed, including dental check-ups, deworming, and vaccinations.
- Grooming is crucial: Regular grooming can help remove loose hair, dirt, and dander, which can prevent skin conditions and improve circulation.
- Consider a new diet: Consult with a veterinarian or equine nutritionist to determine the best diet for your horse in the spring.
- Increase exercise gradually: Gradually increase your horse's exercise routine to avoid injury.
- Check your horse's hooves regularly: Regularly checking your horse's hooves can help you identify and address any issues before they become serious problems. Schedule a visit from your farrier for trimming or shoeing.
- Prepare your pastures: Take time to prepare your pastures for grazing by checking for any toxic plants, removing them, and ensuring that fences are secure.
- Inspect tack and equipment: Clean and inspect all of your tack and equipment to ensure everything is in good condition and ready for use.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure your horse stays healthy and happy during the spring months. With a little bit of extra care and attention, you and your horse can enjoy this beautiful season together.